We’re so excited for the long-awaited arrival of Spring—and a big, huge shout out to all the mamas and papas out there who are into their second week of Spring Break with the kiddos. For those with 24/7 bundles of energy—and you haven’t fallen apart yet—you’re almost there!
We’ve loved welcoming you into the shop, where you’ve found a little escape for yourself—some with kids in tow—to enjoy a cup of coffee and a treat.
We’ve also heard through the grapevine that kids have been placing some impressive meal requests during their little vacation from school. As if all moms, dads, grandparents and caregivers have nothing but time on their hands to fulfill these orders and keep the little ones pleased…we want to help you!
If it hasn’t already, the inevitable request for pancakes is coming. We have an amazing and healthy gluten-free pancake recipe that we pinky swear will be a huge hit.
The Polly Fox Gluten-Free Pancakes
Yields enough for 3-4ish people
· 42 grams white rice flour
· 72 grams tapioca starch
· 12 grams chestnut flour or sweet rice flour** - see note on chestnut flour below
· 42 grams brown rice flour
· 42 grams oat flour or sorghum flour
· 3 tbsp sugar
· 1 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking soda
· 1 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking powder
· ¾ tsp salt
· 3 eggs, room temperature
· 1 cup Greek yogurt or enough mashed banana to make 1 cup
· 1 tbsp + 1 ½ tsp oil of choice - we prefer melted coconut oil or light olive oil
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk wet ingredients together.
3. Pour over dry ingredients and mix together.
4. Let batter sit for about 3-5 minutes. While it sits, get your pan going over medium heat.
5. Oil pan lightly; we recommend using coconut oil, but feel free to use your personal favorite. Butter works well, too.
6. Pour batter into heated pan, let sit until edges start to set and bubbles form.
7. Flip. Cook. EAT.
A Few Things of Note…
Just as we do in the shop, we use weight measurements for our recipes - such a baker’s way of doing things! The recipe does not translate quite the same when adjusted into cups, however, you could give it a try using 1 ½ cups of your favorite gluten-free all purpose blend in place of the first five ingredients. While we can’t guarantee results, play around - food should be fun!
Let’s Talk About Chestnut Flour
Chestnut flour does something magical for baked goods. If you're able to source it out and allergies aren't an issue, we highly recommend it. Specialty grocers such as Choices or Whole Foods are most likely to have it. If you have the time to spare, Amazon definitely carries it.
These guys don't have a lot of sugar in them, since most top with maple syrup. If you have that sweet tooth, or hankering for something decadent, feel free to increase the sugar to really crush that craving.
Try Them With…
Get creative! If you are going with the Greek yogurt, try a flavoured blend like vanilla, strawberry or caramel. Throw in some chocolate chips, blueberries, almond extract, spices, lemon zest...whatever your heart desires. Slather with more coconut oil and / or butter. Drown them in maple syrup. Finish the mile-high stack with fresh fruit or berries sprinkled on top.
Best. Weekend. Breakfast. Ever.
Leftovers for The Win!
These gems freeze like a hot damn. Simply lay the extra pancakes out on a baking sheet in a single layer and pop into the freezer. Once frozen, bag 'em up. Chuck them in the toaster for a quick grab-and-go meal, snack or treat.
Seriously, a win-win with these babies. At The Polly Fox, we have lots of healthy-ish, gluten-free breakfast items on the menu and even more on weekends! Check out our complete menu of sweet and savoury goodies, using lots of locally sourced items. And of course, we have coffee!
Enjoy the last few Spring Break mornings, school-bell free, making memories! See you soon…
The Polly Fox